Yes, I know it’s a bit early (and hooray, I got broadband yesterday, by the way!!!!!), but my new year plans have changed a little bit and so there may well not be much time for blogging before the new year. Not that I’m doing anything exciting at all, I’m not – all my friends in Scotland are otherwise engaged (mostly away) and I couldn’t get hold of my nearest friends in the north of England so I shall be here – but the essay marking has suddenly become very turgid and although the end is in sight these last 10 or 15 are taking forever (not helped by the most recent one being over 4 TIMES over the word limit and being so full of pseudo-intellectualese I’ve absolutely no idea what it is talking about and gave up after page 1 – I shall return to the next 18 pages tomorrow! argh), and all the while I’m doing this knowing that I’m going to have to prepare for the invasion of the parents next week. Actually I’m really excited about this and have already broken the news to my dad that he’s going to teach me how to put up wallpaper (in the bedroom) but even still I’m going to have to do a bit of tidying up and cleaning, and I’ve decided that as I’m at a loose end this weekend and need a few days of non-intellectual activity it would be the ideal time to decorate the hall. I know it doesn’t sound that exciting, but as new year this year isn’t going to be exciting anyway I thought I might as well achieve something with it. And it does mean that by the end of next week I should only have the kitchen and bathroom still to decorate, which is rather exciting (to me, anyway).
Anyway, I’m digressing somewhat. New Year’s Resolutions. I haven’t given this a huge amount of thought, but, in no particular order, I aim to:
* lose weight (actually very important. I got weighed the other week at my new doctor’s, and have put on a stone and a half (eek) since coming to Scotland, ie every last ounce that I lost detoxing earlier in the year, and a bit more besides). My blood pressure was really high (not dangerously high, but high enough for the nurse to comment) and my heart rate was outrageous, so that has galvanised me into getting back into being healthy as opposed to pretending I’m healthy when really I’m a bit of a blob.
* join a dating agency. Actually I’ll wait until after I’ve lost weight – not because I’m superficial (no, really!), but because last time I was in a dating agency, whilst it was often hilarious it also had its soul-destroying moments, so I think I need to feel a lot better about myself first – but anyway it’s a plan, and if I get round to it then hopefully it should provide some memorable blogging moments (honestly the things I do for you!).
* get into more of a pattern of prayer and devotions. I’m not going to say daily, because I’d be setting myself up to fail, but I want “regular” to mean more than “once a week”.
* get my act together and sign up with an agency do some more nursing.
* work harder at my own study and not get totally caught up in my teaching/marking.
I think that’ll do. All achievable, most not too painful, some potentially brilliant. We’ll see. I can’t wait to see the back of this year and start again.
Anyway – happy new year, all. See you in ’06!